Friday 11 January 2013

My first real "Project" creating a blackboard wall


We have recently decorated pretty much the whole house and I am now in the process of trying to finish and dress each room, the kitchen being the first room I tackled.

I've seen blackboard walls in magazines and I always think they look great and add a bit of quirkiness to a room. I figured it couldn't be that hard to recreate, as its just paint... but as this is normally my way of thinking (I am definitely glass half full kind of gal) my husband then started with the voice of reason (his glass is half empty and we normally meet in the middle) he kindly reminded me that I said that about painting the kitchen, my words "it won't take long, slap a bit of paint up, a couple of hours and it will be done". The reality it took about 14 hours of hard graft, 3 coats of paint and in all honesty the ceiling could still do with another coat but the sodding kitchen nearly finished me off so it will have to wait. All I ask is if you ever come to my house please don't look up :)

Anyhow, back to the blackboard, first thing we did was to measure how large we wanted it and then masked the edges. I got the paint from B&Q, which went on really well and for such a little tub went surprisingly far. It was very easy to apply, non drippy, no mess, I gave it  a couple of coats and it looks great.







So I am pleased to say that my initial thoughts of it being pretty easy were true and it looks really effective BUT I am not quite sure my family share the same vision for it as I do. I think its for pretty writing, poems and motivational quotes and they think its for scribbling on!


2 comments:

  1. I looove good old chalk board paint. Looks awesome...and also stops children drawing on the rest of the walls! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really pleased with it. But my youngest did think it meant she could draw on everything for a few days, including my kitchen cupboards, oven, back door... at least it was only in chalk lol

    ReplyDelete