Friday 7 June 2013

We are going green.... Ish

And I don't mean like the Incredible Hulk, well not most days anyway.

Once upon a time a long time ago I developed a bit of an interest in Paganism. I was young so the magical aspect was the initial draw but it was the nature base of the religion that made a more lasting impression.

As time went on I changed my out look (as you do) and never really gave it much thought again... Until now

Not that I am particularly interested in the religion as such but I feel pulled towards a more natural, self sustained way of life. Maybe it's becoming a mother or maybe I'm just that way inclined I don't know but I would like my girls and I to follow the seasons, be aware of the changes that nature goes through, try to source produce locally etc etc

Now don't get me wrong I am really no earth mother, I have no plans to run around naked during the full moon (even though my husband may encourage this) and I shall not be ditching my car for a broomstick, no I'm definitely no earthly goddess, I like the finer things in life too much.

So here's the plan to introduce a bit of nature into our lives...

We have already started buying our fruit and veg from the local farm shop, which the girls love doing as they have chickens running all over the place which they find hilarious 




All meat products I am trying to source locally or at least be British, I tried my local butcher but I was a bit disappointed with the quality so this is a work in progress

We have started composting




Breaking myself in gently this year we are growing pumpkins (very badly), strawberries and sunflowers then next year a small veggie plot is the plan.






And last weekend we spent a thoroughly enjoyable day at a nearby forest collecting pine cones for kindling for the winter



We have been hanging bird boxes and lady bird houses



                                       


And of course making the most of the beautiful weather and working out doors.



With the summer solstice being only a few weeks away I need to get my thinking cap on as to how we are going to celebrate our first nature festival


Out of small acorns grow huge oak trees



:)













No comments:

Post a Comment