Wednesday 9 May 2012

Why bother cleaning..


My names Julie and I am addicted to cleaning...

Fast forward 3 years and it now reads…

My names Julie and I would love to be addicted to cleaning but I run round all frickin day picking up toys, wiping snotty noses and my house still looks like a TIP!

After a conversation with a friend where I just constantly moaned about my untidy children and that all I do all day is tidy up after them she said, why bother? why not just leave it and do it when they have gone to bed?  

Which got me thinking why do I bother cleaning up after them all the time? Is it because I hate mess? Or because an untidy house really stresses me out? Or is it because they can make a room look like a tornado has been through it in two minute flat or is it more than that..

I have always said that you can judge my state of mind by the state of my house, if it’s a mess then so am I and if its clean and tidy then all is well in Julie land but should I just leave it??

I am considering not doing any tidying for a few days by choice and not because I am scraping myself off the floor but I’m just not sure I can do it. I love, love, love a clean tidy house and what sort of message does it send to my girls if mummy thinks its ok to live in shit hole. My helpful thought provoking friend lives in a constant state of mess, her daughter is not allowed to bring friends home from school because of the state of her house and in her children’s bedrooms you can't see the floor for clothes, toys etc so they are heading in the same messy direction. Now I will point out if she was happy living in mess then I would say power to her, horses for courses but she isn't she hates it, not enough to change her ways but if it was easy to change their lifestyle I think she would. 

I like the fact that we live in a nice tidy house, so I may just skip the not cleaning but I may have to learn to crouch rather than crawl about picking toys up, I keep wearing out the knees in my fecking jeans!

Happy cleaning! 



3 comments:

  1. HaHa! Brilliant, I'm sure there is some middle ground though! Someone (poss Mae West?) once said Cleaning the house while the children are growing is like shovelling the sidewalk while it's still snowing! I can see her point! I have yet to find where the happy compromise lies but I have stopped putting toys away in living room until they are in bed, much less stress because you can see some achievement! Aaaaaand Relax! Good luck!
    @cjplus4

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the first posts on my blog was almost identical! I have a confession: I actually like cleaning! The thing is it is actually sooooo depressing cos it never stays that way. Since writing that post, all of 2 months ago, I now have a cleaner (I needed to give something in order to make room for my blogging addiction!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha, how funny! great minds and all that.

      I get really cranky after I've cleaned because they mess it up so bloody quick.

      I've just added your blog to my reading list :-)

      Delete